Skip to main content

Why Do We Doubt?

Ever heard the story of Peter walking out to Jesus on the water? If not, [Matthew 14:22] basically, there was a raging storm, and the men on the boat were absolutely terrified. Then, there appeared Jesus on the water. Peter asked, if it's really you, beckon me out to you. So Jesus said, come. Peter walks out, and is walking on waves. Not just still water, but humongous storm sized waves. Then, he starts to look around and begins to sink. He was afraid and, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Jesus grabs his hands and pulls him up, then responds, "You of little faith. Why did you doubt?" And when they both got on the boat the men rejoiced saying, "Truly YOU ARE the Son of God!" 

I was reminded of this story reading a book. (How's Your Soul? By: Judah Smith) And while reading this book, I honestly had tears streaming down my face. Let me explain why. 

Peter. Was face-to-face with The Savior. And STILL he doubted. He could physically reach out and touch the Lord. Can you imagine being able to physically reach out and touch Jesus? To have Him come up behind you and pick you up when you fall. To go to coffee with him and bi*ch about your awful week. To have Him calm a storm that is swirling around you? 
(Sidenote: He ends up denying Christ three times...that's another story on faith, trust, etc.)

But that last part... to calm the storm. Jesus IS our calm in a storm. He doesn't always calm the storm, but He IS the calm. He is the lighthouse beckoning us to safety. He is the anchor of our souls. The book explained, the physical, tangible Jesus was right in front of Peter and he still had trouble keeping his eyes on Jesus because the waves were so big.

The waves in your life may feel big right now. I know they do in my own. I want to focus on Jesus as the storm is swirling around. I want to focus on the one who calms the storm within my soul. Not focus on the storm itself. In the middle of the storms he asks us, "why do you doubt?" He isn't looking for a list of reasons why you don't, but he wants you to be reminded that we have NO reason to doubt at all. He is the rock. He is our anchor. He is the KING! And He is FOR us, WITH us, and LOVES us. He has gone before us in our lives. He knows what will happen, yet walks us through it all. 

Let me give you an excerpt of the book...

"The parallel to our lives is clear. It's easy to have faith when we are safely in the boat-when the wind is gone and the stars are out. But can we trust Jesus in the midst of the storm> Because that is when we need him the most...Jesus got into the boat, 'immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going'(John 6:21) Thats just like Jesus. One moment you are in a storm and you are terrified and confused and alone. But then suddenly, somehow, you are where you wanted to be. You hardly know how you got there. And there was a time not too long before when you thought you'd never make it, that the stops and waves were going to win. But you held on, and God got you through." 

I pray if you feel overwhelmed and anxious. If you feel like you're about to drown. If your current loneliness, hardships or sadness feels indefinite, that you wouldn't run. That you would understand the truest, most consistent security in life is Jesus. I pray that you would relinquish that control, and drop the doubt. I pray right now that you would feel lighter, understanding that worry is merely a lack of faith, and not a burden for you to bear. I pray you will say, I choose to believe, I choose to cast all my fears on you, to trust in you, and to choose you.

C.S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rookie Year

Year one. I just wrapped up my first rookie year in the league. What a wild ride it's been. Lots of sweat, some blood, and maybe even more tears haha! I'm confident enough to admit to that though. It's been the most challenging year of my career. I have learned so much more about myself as a player, a competitor, and about the game in this short season than I thought I would. I still wake up and can't believe I get to play a game, yes a game for my job. It's what I dreamed of as a kid! And hopefully I'll continue to live out that dream and reach other goals I've set for myself. I'm not sure what comes next. But I want to share what I leave this season having learned.  There are no shortcuts on the road to success.      I could write a novel on this. (Maybe one day) I've been told this repeatedly my entire life. My parents were athletes and coaches, and the "hard work beats talent" mentality was ingrained in me and my siblings at a youn

The Polaroid.

Wanted to share-A moment I'll never forget...The first time I saw someone purchase my jersey. Won't lie, it got to me.  I remember being 8 and dreaming of moments like these. I'll never take these things for granted. And I made a promise I would never give up.  New post//link in bio.  I've found lots of time to write lately. So here it goes! Throughout the season one of the things I found the greatest joys in are gamedays. Obviously! It's a day where we get to see our hard work pay off but most importantly, have fun. Oh, and win. This team sure does know how to win. And winning is also really fun. For me, I really enjoy seeing all the fans after the game. It feels personal for me. I very vividly remember being eight years old and getting to be a ball-girl for the Lee's Summit North High School Varsity soccer team. Wednesdays were truly my favorite day of the week. I wore my t-shirt to school every game day. It was a quote picked out by, i

Calling ALL Ladies!

      This post is about something that I have battled constantly the past few years of my life. Okay, I'm lying, my ENTIRE life! At one point it completely consumed me to a very low point. And after seeing friends go through the same struggles, I feel compelled to say, enough is ENOUGH! It is time to talk about this openly and honestly . "My hips are huge." "I hate my tiny boobs." "I wish I could have your butt." "My butt is way too big." "I have thunder thighs." "My arms are way too skinny." "I wish I had a six-pack." "I'm too muscular and manly."     These are just a few of thousands of phrases I hear daily from my friends, my classmates, teammates, strangers, and myself...     Today, we live in a culture so heavily media based that it's no wonder we are constantly comparing ourselves. We compare ourselves to the latest big name actresses, to the images of our friends (and strang