Skip to main content

Oklahoma State Will Overcome

I know we hear all of the time, "life is short" or "tell the ones you love that you care" etc, but I beg that it doesn't take a tragedy for us to understand the fragility and importance of life and love. We hear all too often about discovering love through pain. Yesterday's events were earth-shattering for the town of Stillwater, the University of Oklahoma State, and for the state of Oklahoma.

Stillwater is a fairly quiet town. My family is from here. My mother grew up here, went to HS down the road, then went on to graduate from OSU along with 98% of my family. This town means so much to our family. The people mean so much. My memories are a safe town. A place where we don't lock our doors, we walk around the neighborhood, and we go to every OSU sporting event. No matter their record that year. We walk around, smiling and waving and shouting "Go Pokes!" That's what I grew up with. Tradition, hospitality, loyalty, and a love for this school no matter where I was.
I understand people make mistakes. Some are small, some are big. And every once in awhile, they are catastrophic. Yesterday's event were of the latter. A girl sent home from work, an apparent emotional wreck, then decides to drive under the influence, and crash her car through a crowd. Small mistakes, built up to a life-altering choice. I pray not only for this girl and her family. Who will forever wear the stain of her mistake. Who will carry the pain and the shame of breaking the hearts of thousands. But I also pray for this town, these people... These kindhearted and faithful people. I pray that slowly but surely their hearts will heal. That they will feel Gods comfort through this unbearable pain. This town is no stranger to tragedy...My family was indirectly affected by the 2005 plane crash and the affects to those involved, to the school, and athletic department were long-lasting. The class, strength and sensitivity shown yesterday by the Athletic Department, the coaching staff and football team was inspiring. Their game and their win gave this place a couple hours for a sign of relief. To numb the pain for a little while. To understand it's okay to smile through the tears. God upholds us in his right hand. When tragedy strikes, peoples' true colors come out. For this place, it's orange and black-and resilience and love. When we come together, we can heal. When we turn our gaze to the Lord we will find strength. We will find comfort. And we will find hope. But if it's one thing I know, it's that this state, this school, and their people know how to overcome.

Please share in remembrance of the beautiful lives lost yesterday. So their friends and family understand that they are not alone. They never have been and never will be.

Romans 8:37-39  "No, through all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Three things in life are eternal, God, His word, and the souls of His people.

Comments

Unknown said…
Bless you for sharing your heart...which is also the heart of so many of us. #WeWillOvercome #StilllwaterStrong #OklahomaStrong #LoyalAndTrue

Popular posts from this blog

Rookie Year

Year one. I just wrapped up my first rookie year in the league. What a wild ride it's been. Lots of sweat, some blood, and maybe even more tears haha! I'm confident enough to admit to that though. It's been the most challenging year of my career. I have learned so much more about myself as a player, a competitor, and about the game in this short season than I thought I would. I still wake up and can't believe I get to play a game, yes a game for my job. It's what I dreamed of as a kid! And hopefully I'll continue to live out that dream and reach other goals I've set for myself. I'm not sure what comes next. But I want to share what I leave this season having learned.  There are no shortcuts on the road to success.      I could write a novel on this. (Maybe one day) I've been told this repeatedly my entire life. My parents were athletes and coaches, and the "hard work beats talent" mentality was ingrained in me and my siblings at a youn

The Polaroid.

Wanted to share-A moment I'll never forget...The first time I saw someone purchase my jersey. Won't lie, it got to me.  I remember being 8 and dreaming of moments like these. I'll never take these things for granted. And I made a promise I would never give up.  New post//link in bio.  I've found lots of time to write lately. So here it goes! Throughout the season one of the things I found the greatest joys in are gamedays. Obviously! It's a day where we get to see our hard work pay off but most importantly, have fun. Oh, and win. This team sure does know how to win. And winning is also really fun. For me, I really enjoy seeing all the fans after the game. It feels personal for me. I very vividly remember being eight years old and getting to be a ball-girl for the Lee's Summit North High School Varsity soccer team. Wednesdays were truly my favorite day of the week. I wore my t-shirt to school every game day. It was a quote picked out by, i

Calling ALL Ladies!

      This post is about something that I have battled constantly the past few years of my life. Okay, I'm lying, my ENTIRE life! At one point it completely consumed me to a very low point. And after seeing friends go through the same struggles, I feel compelled to say, enough is ENOUGH! It is time to talk about this openly and honestly . "My hips are huge." "I hate my tiny boobs." "I wish I could have your butt." "My butt is way too big." "I have thunder thighs." "My arms are way too skinny." "I wish I had a six-pack." "I'm too muscular and manly."     These are just a few of thousands of phrases I hear daily from my friends, my classmates, teammates, strangers, and myself...     Today, we live in a culture so heavily media based that it's no wonder we are constantly comparing ourselves. We compare ourselves to the latest big name actresses, to the images of our friends (and strang